4 family members died in Italian village after inhaling toxic fumes during wine making

0


An entire family lost their lives as each member tried to save the other from the poisonous fumes that ultimately won the battle.

(Photo: Getty Images)

Toxic fumes from wine fermentation

Officials said four men from one family lost their lives in an unusual accident when toxic fumes overpowered them while they were making wine at the family vineyard at an annual winemaking event.

The four men – Giacomo, 70, and Valerio Scofano, 50, as well as Santino, 70, and Massimo Carnevale, 45 – died one after another as each tried to save themselves. one another during the unfortunate incident.

The Telegraph reported that the men died from a lack of adequate ventilation, according to prosecutor Pierpaolo Bruni, who revealed that an investigation was underway.

When paramedics arrived at the scene, they were unable to save any of the victims, the media reported.

The unfortunate incident took place on Saturday in the hamlet of Paola in the southern region of Calabria when the men gathered to move the fermented grape juice into oak barrels for it to be enjoyed in the future. One of the older men went down to the wine cellar to stir the wine.

Another man had screamed for help but was found dead near the exit of the basement after some time, according to a statement by the Italian military force, the Carabinieri, according to a report.

Read also: Carbon monoxide poisoning poses new threat during hurricane season

Carbon dioxide poisoning

According to the Department of Environmental Sciences and Occupational Health at the University of Washington, the fermentation process generates carbon dioxide. However, it is generally difficult to detect carbon dioxide gas because it is both colorless and odorless.

The department said on its website: “Too much carbon dioxide in the air can cause headaches, sweating, rapid breathing, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath and dizziness. Higher levels of carbon dioxide can lead to more severe and immediate effects, including coma, asphyxiation. , convulsions, unconsciousness and death. ”

To avoid carbon dioxide poisoning during the fermentation process, ventilation of the working space should be sufficient. Individuals should use natural ventilation, which opens windows and doors, as well as mechanical exhaust ventilation, the ministry recommended.

In addition, individuals are advised to pay attention to carbon dioxide levels in the workplace and to make comparisons with occupational exposure limits.

Grapes in a cellar

(Photo: Getty Images)

The survivor

The daughter-in-law (36) of one of the victims was also discovered at the scene. The 36-year-old was found unconscious, but neighbors resuscitated her and rushed her to a nearby hospital to recover, the Telegraph reported. People believed she was also trying to help rescue her family members.

Obviously, authorities cannot tell which family member lost consciousness first, but there is no suspicion of foul play.

The mayor of Paola, Roberto Perrotta, has reportedly told local media that this unfortunate incident has caused tremendous pain and grief to the entire community.

Associated article: 12 people including children hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning in New Orleans

For more information, updates on carbon poisoning and similar topics, be sure to follow Nature World News!

© 2021 NatureWorldNews.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.